Friday, January 16, 2009

The Wrestler


The trailer for The Wrestler, with Mickey Rourke, was very effective, but not in the way Fox Searchlight probably intended--it convinced me I did not want to see the movie. Rourke looked almost unwatchable. That face made me cringe.

Later, I changed my mind. I still did not want to see it, but I felt that I should. And a few days ago, Elizabeth and I went to see it. I found the film almost haunting, and Rourke's performance was extraordinary. Elizabeth felt the same way.

It has a small, but poignant plot strand related to fatherhood. Rourke tells the pole-dancer who's his only friend (Marisa Tomei) that he has a daughter, "but she don't like me very much."

Later, he makes an attempt to reconnect. (No spoilers here--this is all in the trailer.) "I just don't want you to hate me," he tells her, erupting in tears.

It's a little beyond what most of us experience with our kids. But there's something very real there.

See it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the trailer...it turned many people away. Not sure how they could have done it better though. I actually like The Wrestler better then Slumdog Millionaire.

    The Wrestler is relatable. The Ram himself...is relatable. He is me, he is my father, he is my ex-husband.
    It was also very funny. Who knew?
    My only complaint is, I wanted more time with the father daughter story. I found that more compelling then the "girlfriend" angle.

    ReplyDelete