Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What do little kids believe?


Lisa Belkin posted today on the big and little lies we tell our children--and the tooth fairy.

I posted this comment:

As the father of a boy who’s two-and-a-half, I often wonder whether children believe all the things we say they do. Do kids really believe in the tooth fairy? I bet not. They play along because they don’t want to screw up a cash cow. (”If the ‘rents think I’m hip to this, I won’t find anything under the pillow. Tooth fairy? Bring it on!”) Kids don’t have a lot of other income-producing opportunities.

I suspect most kids figure out the Santa Claus gambit long before they admit it.

My grandfather had any number of reasons why I should eat my toast crusts, most having to do with growing up to be a man. I knew it was all made up, but I liked him, and I didn’t want to disappoint him. So I played along. I’m not sure I ever came clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment